Monday, June 14, 2010

Welcome to I Love Crockett, Texas!


My name is Wayne Mask and I'm the Mayor of this great little city in East Texas. Crockett (yeah as in Davy) is a city with a population around 8,000 and we are the county seat for Houston County. You might be asking, where is Crockett, Texas? Well, if you are headed from Houston to Dallas, we are about mid ways between the two, a shade off I-45 to the east of Centerville. We call ourselves "Paradise in the Pines." Come visit and you'll see why.


I decided to start this blog to introduce the world to our community and showcase some of what makes this a great place to live, work and raise a family. Each week I will post about people and places in and around Crockett that I think make this the best city in the state!


Well, let's get started. This past weekend, we hosted the 74th Annual World Championship Fiddlers Festival and Steak Cook Off. We are proud to be home to the World Championship, and if you've never listened to old time Texas fiddling, you don't know what you are missing. The festival includes a steak cook off, arts and crafts, as well as an Antique Tractor show. Where else can you see all this, including an Antique Tractor parade? The picture above is Larry Skalicky on his antique Minneapolis Moline tractor. It was a huge success. The parade began at the Crockett Civic (home of the event) and made its way to the Downtown Square (yes, we have an authentic old time downtown square) and then back the Civic Center. Much fun was had by all, wish you could have been there. If you're interested, you can contact the Crockett Area Chamber of Commerce, the host of the festival. Maybe we'll see you there next year!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! I love it. Where else can you get the best steaks around as well! Hope everyone comes back next year and brings friends.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Crockett but have been away for many years. I attended a lot of Fiddler's Festivals over the years. I plan to return someday. Please keep the blog updated. I will follow it religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks jackadilloking, look forward to meeting you at the Fiddlers Festival some day.

    P.S. love the handle! :)

    ReplyDelete