Thursday, June 16, 2011

Let's Take Care of Our Trees



I don't have to tell you that we are in the midst of a severe period of dry weather here in our neck o' the woods (better known as a drought but that's such a dirty word I won't use it). And unfortunately, because we have seen a long term lack of moisture, along with everything else that grows outside, our trees in Crockett are suffering.

One of the things I love the most about our city is the number of beautiful old trees. Many of our trees have been here longer than some of us! Drive down any of our streets and you will see majestic oaks and tall pines. They are beautiful to look and at and provide wonderful shade for our hot summer days. But as healthy as our trees might appear, many are slowly dying due to the lack of rain.

So, although I'm no arborist, let me encourage you to water your trees. Now, I know what you're thinking-leave it up to the Mayor to tell people to water their trees because that way, the City makes more revenue from increased water sales. Actually, I pay the same water rates you pay and I'm doing my part to keep my trees alive .

So, let's not forget about our trees. Trees do better from prolonged, slow watering, such as with a soaker hose or a low set sprinkler. Our trees need moisture deep in the ground; because of evaporation, surface watering often times doesn't get the water where it needs to be. So, early morning and late evening slow watering is the best approach to giving our trees a drink.

Trees add value to your property and add value to our city. Let's not forget about our tall, leafy friends this summer. They are doing their part, let's do ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment